- Principles of Chemistry I: Honors
Fall 2015, Unique 49310
Lecture Summary, 22 October 2015
Diatomcs: Today we spent a lot of time constructing
MO diagrams ofhomonuclear diatomic molecules in period 1 and
period 2. We discussed the general rules of LCAO-MO:
1) Determine the ground state electron configuration of each atom.
2) AO's interact only if their energy and shape is similar.
3) Construct MO's from the AO's, where the total number of MO's must equal the number of AO's used.
4) Arrange the MO's in order of lowest to highest energy.
5) Add all electrons to MO's using Aufbau (Pauli + Hund's rule).
6) Determine the bond order of the molecule.