- Principles of Chemistry I: Honors
Fall 2017, Unique 50135
Lecture Summary, 27 October 2017
Today we spent a lot of time constructing MO diagrams of
diatomic molecules in period 1 and period 2. We discussed
the general rules of LCAO-MO:
1) Determine the ground state electron configuration of each atom.
2) AO's interact only if their energy and shape is similar.
3) Construct MO's from the AO's, where the total number of MO's must equal the number of AO's used.
4) Arrange the MO's in order of lowest to highest energy.
5) Add all electrons to MO's using Aufbau (Pauli + Hund's rule).
6) Determine the bond order of the molecule.